From Commission to Booth Rent: My Journey in the Beauty Industry

 

My Experience in a Commission Salon

Before becoming a booth renter, I spent nearly six years working in a commission-based salon.

Those years played a huge role in shaping the beauty professional I am today. I learned technical skills, built relationships with clients, gained confidence behind the chair, and developed a deeper understanding of what it takes to succeed in the beauty industry.

Working in a commission salon gave me structure and support early in my career. I was able to focus primarily on my services and client experience while learning from other professionals around me. By watching my co-workers I was able to ask questions and gain experience. 

As time went on, though, I found myself wanting more independence. I wanted greater control over my schedule, the products I used, the services I offered, and the overall direction of my career.

That desire for growth is what eventually led me to explore booth renting. 

Making the transition wasn't easy. Leaving the environment I had known for almost six years felt intimidating, and I had plenty of questions about whether I was making the right decision. I debated for weeks on whether I should or shouldn’t step out in faith on my own.

Looking back now, I'm grateful for both experiences. My years in a commission salon gave me a strong foundation, and booth renting has challenged me to grow in entirely new ways as both a beauty professional and a business owner.

Why I Decided to Make the Switch

After nearly six years in a commission salon, I found myself thinking more and more about what I wanted my future in the beauty industry to look like.

While I was grateful for everything I had learned, I started feeling ready for a new challenge, and I wanted a change. I wanted the opportunity to build something that felt completely my own.

One of the biggest reasons I decided to make the switch to booth renting was the freedom it offered. I wanted more control over my schedule, the products I used, and the overall experience I provided for my clients. I loved the idea of creating a space that reflected my personality, morals & values, beliefs, and the type of professional I wanted to be.

I also wanted to take ownership of my business in a deeper way. As a commission stylist, I focused primarily on serving my clients and perfecting my craft. As a booth renter, I knew I would have the opportunity to build my own brand, make my own decisions, and create a business that aligned with my goals. To be my own boss. 

I had gained a fairly large clientele over my six years of work, and I had gotten to a point where I wanted to make decisions that I felt would be best for my future in the beauty industry. I desired to have more control over the products I used, the services I provided (or didn't provide), and the environment that my clients would be in. 

Of course, making the decision wasn't easy. That commission salon was my first ever job, fresh out of school at 18 years old, and I was comfortable there. Leaving a salon where I had spent nearly six years was both exciting and intimidating. (I was panicked!) There were moments when I questioned whether I was making the right choice, and I knew there would be challenges ahead.

But sometimes growth requires stepping outside of your comfort zone. (Even if you have to give yourself a push.)

I had always wanted to have my own salon, but I was intimidated by all of the preparation and responsibilities that came with it. I realized that if I wanted to continue growing both professionally and personally, I needed to take a chance on myself. Booth renting has allowed me to do both of those things.

Looking back, making the switch was one of the most rewarding decisions I've made in my career. It pushed me to become more confident, more independent, and more invested in my success than ever before. I have loved every minute of it. 

What I Wish I'd Known Earlier

Looking back, there are definitely a few things I wish someone had told me before I made the switch to booth renting, or things I had wish I knew a little more about. While I don't regret my decision at all, there were some lessons I had to learn through experience.

You're Not Just a Cosmetologist—You're a Business Owner

This was probably the biggest adjustment for me.

When I worked in a commission salon, I could focus primarily on my clients and the services I provided. Once I became a booth renter, I quickly realized that I wasn't just responsible for doing nails and hair anymore—I was responsible for running a business.

Keeping track of expenses, marketing, and planning for taxes all became part of my everyday life. It was a learning curve, but it also helped me grow in ways I never expected.

Freedom Comes with Responsibility

One of the things that attracted me to booth renting was the freedom. I could set my own schedule, choose my own products, and create the experience I wanted for my clients.

What I didn't fully understand was that with that freedom comes a lot of responsibility.

If I wanted to take time off, I had to plan for it. If business was slow, it was up to me to find ways to bring clients in. There wasn't anyone else making those decisions for me.

While that can feel overwhelming at times, it's also one of the most rewarding parts of booth renting because the success of your business is truly in your hands.

Building a Business Takes Time

I think it's easy to look at successful booth renters and assume they have everything figured out.

The truth is that building a business doesn't happen overnight.

There were moments when I questioned myself, worried about the future, or wondered if I was doing enough. Over time, I learned that consistency matters more than perfection.

Showing up for your clients, continuing your education, investing in yourself, and staying committed to your goals can make a huge difference over time.

It's Okay to Keep Learning

One thing I've learned throughout my career is that no one has all the answers. No matter how long you have been in the beauty industry there is more room for learning each day. 

Whether it's a new technique, a business strategy, or a better way to serve clients, there's always something new to learn.

Instead of putting pressure on myself to know everything, I've learned to embrace the process and continue growing. Some of my biggest lessons have come from mistakes, challenges, and experiences that pushed me outside my comfort zone.

The Growth Is Worth It

Even with the challenges, booth renting has helped me grow both professionally and personally. June 10, 2026, I will have been a booth renter for two years, and I wouldn't change a thing.

It's taught me confidence, independence, responsibility, and the importance of believing in myself. I have grown a lot as a person. 

If I could go back and give my younger self one piece of advice, it would be this: trust the process. Growth takes time, and every experience—good or bad—is helping you become the professional you're meant to be.

Final Thoughts

Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. My years in a commission salon gave me the foundation I needed, and booth renting gave me the opportunity to build on that foundation in a way that aligned with my goals. Both experiences taught me valuable lessons, and both played an important role in my journey which has brought me where I am today. 

If you're considering booth renting, my advice is to do your research, trust yourself, and remember that growth often begins when you're willing to step outside your comfort zone.

Have you worked in a commission salon, booth rented, or experienced both? I'd love to hear about your journey in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Cosmetology Story: From Salon Kid to Licensed Professional

Welcome to SalonGirlie!