My Cosmetology Story: From Salon Kid to Licensed Professional

My Cosmetology Journey: How I Knew This Was the Career for Me
Have you ever been asked how you got started in the beauty industry? As I’ve been reflecting on my career lately, I thought it would be fun to share a little bit about how I became a cosmetologist and what inspired me to pursue this path.
Falling in Love with Beauty
Growing up, I always loved everything related to the beauty and fashion industry. In fact, before I decided to become a cosmetologist, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I loved the creativity involved in fashion and beauty, and I knew I wanted a career where I could express that creativity every day.
While my career path ended up looking different from what I originally imagined, I’m grateful for where it led me.
The Salon That Started It All
One of the biggest influences in my journey was my cousin, Jamie.
As a little girl, I spent a lot of time at her salon. I loved being there and watching her work with clients. Looking back, those visits played a huge role in shaping my future. And today, I do some of those clients that I knew as a little girl.
Not only did I get to see firsthand what life as a cosmetologist was like, but Jamie also taught me many of the things I know today. Watching her interact with clients, create beautiful results, and build a career doing something she loved made a lasting impression on me.
Those experiences sparked a dream that would eventually become my career.
Starting Cosmetology School at 16
When the opportunity came to pursue cosmetology, I was excited to take it.
I began cosmetology school at just 16 years old while still in high school. It wasn’t always easy balancing school, cosmetology classes, and everything else that comes with being a teenager, but I knew I was working toward something I was passionate about. I couldn't wait to see what the future held for me in the beauty industry.
At 18, I graduated from both high school and cosmetology school. Shortly afterward, I earned my cosmetology license and officially began my career in the beauty industry. This was my first job ever, and I was excited but also nervous.
Looking back, I’m thankful for the support I received from my friends and family throughout that journey. Their encouragement helped me stay focused on my goals and pursue a career that I truly love.
Nearly Eight Years Later
Today, I’ve been licensed for almost eight years, and I still enjoy learning and growing in this industry.
One of the things I love most about cosmetology is that there is always something new to learn. Trends change, techniques evolve, and there are endless opportunities to improve your skills.
Another thing I love about cosmetology is making people feel beautiful. That is one of the reasons I decided to pursue a career in the beauty industry, I wanted to make people look and feel their best. To lift their spirits and make them feel better.
Over the years, I’ve had the opportunity to meet amazing clients, continue my education, and even become a booth renter and business owner through Polished Beauty.
Why Nails Are My Favorite
While I enjoy many aspects of cosmetology, nails have always held a special place in my heart.
Whether I’m providing a relaxing pedicure or creating a beautiful manicure, I love helping clients leave feeling refreshed, confident, and cared for.
There’s something rewarding about taking time to focus on the details and helping someone enjoy a little self-care in their busy day.
Looking Back With Gratitude
When I think about where this journey began, I always come back to those days spent in my cousin Jamie’s salon.
What started as a little girl spending time at her cousin’s shop eventually became a lifelong career.
I’m thankful for the encouragement from my family and friends, the lessons I learned from Jamie, and the clients who have trusted me throughout the years.
The beauty industry has given me opportunities I never could have imagined, and I look forward to seeing where this journey continues to take me.
Thank you for being part of it.
Comments
Post a Comment