5 Things Every New Booth Renter Should Know

Making the transition to booth renting is exciting, but if I'm being honest, it can also be a little intimidating.

After spending nearly six years in a commission salon before making the switch, I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the beauty industry. While that experience gave me a strong foundation, I quickly learned that booth renting comes with its own set of challenges and responsibilities.

Looking back, there are a few things I wish someone had told me before I took the leap. If you're considering booth renting or have recently started your journey, I hope these lessons help you feel more prepared and confident.

1. You're Not Just a Beauty Professional Anymore—You're a Business Owner

One of the biggest surprises for me was realizing how much happens behind the scenes when you're booth renting.

Suddenly, you're responsible for scheduling appointments, tracking expenses, ordering products, marketing your services, and planning for taxes. While it can feel overwhelming at first, learning the business side of beauty has been one of the most rewarding parts of my journey.

My advice? Start treating your booth like a business from day one.

2. Budget for More Than Just Booth Rent

Before I became a booth renter, I knew I would have monthly rent to pay. What I didn't fully realize was how many other expenses would come along with it.

Products, supplies, continuing education, business cards, booking software, equipment, and insurance can add up quickly.

Keeping track of expenses early will save you a lot of stress later. Trust me on this one!

3. Building and Keeping Client Relationships Matters More Than Ever

Your clients are the heart of your business.

While great services are important, I've learned that creating genuine relationships is what keeps clients coming back. People remember how you make them feel.

A welcoming atmosphere, good communication, and consistency can go a long way in building trust and loyalty.

4. Marketing Doesn't Have to Be Complicated

For a long time, I thought marketing meant constantly posting on social media or creating elaborate content.

What I've learned is that marketing is simply letting people know who you are, what you do, and how you can help them.

Share your work. Post consistently. Ask happy clients for reviews. Talk about your services with confidence.

You don't have to do everything—you just have to do something.

5. Give Yourself Grace

This is probably the lesson I wish I'd learned the earliest.

There will be slow weeks. There will be mistakes. There will be moments when you compare yourself to others and wonder if you're doing enough.

Give yourself grace.

Every successful booth renter started somewhere, and growth doesn't happen overnight. Keep learning, stay consistent, and trust the process.

Final Thoughts

Booth renting has challenged me, stretched me, and taught me lessons I never expected to learn. It hasn't always been easy, but it has been incredibly rewarding.

If you're thinking about making the switch or you're just getting started, remember that you don't have to have everything figured out right away. Take it one day at a time, keep showing up, and believe in yourself.

If you're a booth renter, what's one thing you wish you'd known when you started? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Cosmetology Story: From Salon Kid to Licensed Professional

Welcome to SalonGirlie!

From Commission to Booth Rent: My Journey in the Beauty Industry