Misconceptions About Booth Renting: What I Wish I Knew Before Making the Switch
When I first started thinking about booth renting, I had a lot of questions.
I had spent almost six years working in a commission salon, so the idea of being responsible for my own business felt exciting—but also a little intimidating and very scary.
There are a lot of opinions about booth renting in the beauty industry. Some people swear by it, while others hear things like, “You have to do everything yourself,” “You’ll never have enough clients,” or “It’s only for experienced stylists.”
After making the switch myself, I’ve learned that some of the things people say about booth renting simply aren’t true.
So let’s talk about some of the biggest misconceptions I’ve heard—and what I’ve learned from my own experience.
Misconception #1: You Have to Have a Huge Clientele Before You Can Booth Rent
This is one I hear a lot.
People sometimes think you need to already have a completely full book before you can become a booth renter.
While having an established clientele can certainly make the transition easier financially, I don’t think you have to have a completely packed schedule before making the switch.
What you do need is a realistic understanding of your finances, your expenses, and how much you need to make to support yourself.
Booth renting means you’re responsible for generating your own income, so planning is extremely important.
You don’t necessarily need a huge clientele—but you do need a plan.
Misconception #2: Booth Renting Means You’re Completely On Your Own
This one can make booth renting sound much scarier than it actually is.
Yes, you are running your own business. But that doesn’t mean you have to feel like you’re on an island.
The salon you rent from can still provide a community of other beauty professionals. Your 'co-workers" can be one of the biggest help to you and your business. Especially when your first starting out.
You may have other stylists, nail techs, estheticians, or other professionals around you who understand the industry and can offer advice, encouragement, or simply someone to talk to during the workday.
One of the things I appreciate about being in a salon environment is having other professionals around me while still having the independence of running my own business. People around me who have owned businesses or have been booth renters for years have helped me to figure things out and to answer any questions I have.
Misconception #3: You Have to Do EVERYTHING Yourself
There is definitely more responsibility when you’re running your own business, with multiple different things and in many different aspects.
You may be responsible for things like booking appointments, purchasing your supplies, managing your money, marketing yourself, keeping your space clean and organized, and maintaining your own client relationships. You may not have any experience in doing these tasks so it is important to take the time to learn the ins and outs of them!
But that doesn’t mean you have to figure everything out alone.
There are so many resources available to beauty professionals today.
You can learn from educators, take continuing education classes, use scheduling software, learn about social media marketing, and connect with other salon professionals.
For me, learning how to run my business has been an ongoing process.
I definitely didn’t know everything when I started—and I still don’t.
That’s okay. I am still learning everyday and I will continue to do so. But mu business will be better for it.
Misconception #4: You Get to Keep All of the Money You Make
This is a BIG one.
One of the biggest attractions of booth renting is not having to give a percentage of every service to a salon owner in the same way you might under a commission structure.
But that doesn’t mean every dollar you collect from a client is automatically profit.
As a booth renter, you have business expenses.
You may have rent, products, tools, supplies, booking software, credit card processing fees, insurance, taxes, education expenses, and other costs associated with running your business.
It is important to set aside money for business expenses. For example, I do the 70/30 method. I have a business account and a personal account. At the end of the week, I take 70% and 30% of my money from my business account; that 30% goes to my taxes. Then for the 70%, I take another 30% off of it, which goes to supplies and maintenance, and I keep the leftover.
Here is a breakdown: If I had $1,000 gross pay, 30% of that would equal $300 for taxes, then there would be $700 left over, which is our 70%. Then you would take 30% off of that $700, which is $210. Making the left over being $490, which would go to my personal account as my pay for that week.
That breakdown example is for CARD payments only. I keep all cash, whether tips or service payments, as well as checks.
This way I will have money for business expenses and my quarterly taxes, without feeling like I haven't made any income personally.
At the end of each year, I always have more money put back than I need for my taxes, so it is like I get a tax refund from myself.
Understanding your numbers is incredibly important when you’re self-employed. If you are having issues understanding the financial side of things, I suggest seeing a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or talking to someone in the industry who has some knowledge on this topic.
Misconception #5: Booth Renting Means You Can Set Your Own Rules About Everything
Being your own boss sounds amazing—and there are definitely a lot of freedoms that come with running your own business.
But booth renting doesn’t necessarily mean you can do absolutely anything you want inside the salon.
Every salon has its own expectations, policies, and environment.
Before renting a booth, it’s important to understand what the salon provides, what you’re responsible for, what rules you are expected to follow, and what your rental agreement says.
Just because you’re an independent business owner doesn’t mean there aren’t boundaries; you need to respect the person you are renting from and their rules and regulations.
Finding a salon whose environment and expectations align with you is incredibly important.
Misconception #6: You Don’t Have to Market Yourself
This one is definitely not true.
When you’re responsible for your own clientele, you can’t always depend on someone else to fill your schedule.
You have to be willing to put yourself out there.
That might mean posting your work on social media, creating content, asking happy clients for referrals, keeping your booking information easy to find, or simply staying consistent.
I suggest creating a business page on a social media platform. I used Facebook for my Polished Beauty business; it is easy to use and has helped me to gain new clientele. It also gives me the opportunity to communicate with my clients, share my work, or post fun giveaways and specials.
Marketing doesn’t have to mean constantly making sales posts.
Sharing your work, educating your audience, showing your personality, and reminding people what services you offer can all be part of marketing your business.
Misconception #7: You Have More Free Time
Technically, you may have more control over your schedule.
But having control over your schedule doesn’t necessarily mean you have less work.
When you’re a booth renter, there are things happening behind the scenes that clients don’t always see.
Ordering supplies.
Cleaning.
Laundry.
Bookkeeping.
Marketing.
Content creation.
Education.
Scheduling.
Inventory.
Planning.
The list can go on.
There are definitely days when I appreciate having control over my schedule, but being your own boss doesn’t mean you suddenly have nothing else to do.
Misconception #8: Booth Renting Is Only for Stylists
Booth renting isn’t just for hairstylists.
Depending on the salon, independent beauty professionals may include nail technicians, estheticians, makeup artists, lash artists, and other beauty professionals.
The exact setup will depend on the salon and the services being offered, but the concept of running your own beauty business can apply to many different areas of the industry.
Misconception #9: You Have to Be Completely Independent
Being independent doesn’t mean you can’t ask for help.
This is something I think is really important for anyone considering booth renting.
You can be your own boss and still learn from other people.
You can ask questions.
You can take classes.
You can follow educators.
You can talk with other beauty professionals.
You can learn from people who have already made the mistakes you’re trying to avoid.
There is nothing wrong with not knowing everything.
In fact, I think being willing to keep learning is one of the most important qualities you can have as a beauty professional. In previous blog posts, I have made it clear that educating yourself is very important, and I still stand by that.
Misconception #10: Booth Renting Is Automatically Better Than Commission
This might be the biggest misconception of all.
Booth renting isn’t automatically better, and commission isn’t automatically better.
They’re simply different business models, and different things that go along with each one.
I know I would not have been able to start out as a booth renter; I had no clients, no behind-the-chair experience, because I was fresh out of school. So I am very thankful for my years in a commission salon. It taught me what I needed to know, helped me to build my clientele, and led me to where I am now.
Many people bash stylists who work at places like Walmart Smart Style Salon or Great Clips, but I feel like those are wonderful first jobs for gaining experience and getting clients, which will help you in the long run.
What works for one beauty professional may not work for another.
Commission may be a great option for someone who doesn’t want to handle as many business responsibilities.
Booth renting may be a great option for someone who wants more control over their business and is willing to take on those additional responsibilities.
The important thing is figuring out what works for you, and it's okay if it takes a while.
What I’ve Learned From Making the Switch
After working in a commission salon for almost six years, I eventually decided that booth renting was the direction I wanted to take my career.
I started planning Polished Beauty in May 2024, with it officially being created in June 2024. Making that transition taught me a lot about myself as a beauty professional and a business owner.
Was it scary?
Absolutely. (I was stressed out so bad!)
Did I know everything when I started?
Definitely not. (And I still don't!)
But I’ve learned along the way.
Booth renting has given me the opportunity to have more ownership over my business, my schedule, my client experience, and the direction I want to take my career.
It has also taught me that being your own boss isn’t always glamorous.
There is a lot of responsibility that comes with independence.
But for me, the freedom and ownership have been worth it.
Is Booth Renting Right for You?
If you’re considering making the switch to booth renting, don’t make your decision based on what someone else says.
Do your research.
Ask questions.
Understand your expenses.
Look at your current clientele.
Think about how comfortable you are with running a business.
And most importantly, be honest with yourself about what you want from your career.
Booth renting can be an amazing opportunity—but it’s still a business.
It’s not just about having a cute booth, setting your own schedule, and being your own boss.
It’s about taking responsibility for your business and being willing to learn as you go.
And if you’re considering making the switch, I hope you know that you don’t have to have everything figured out before you start.
Sometimes you just have to be willing to learn along the way.
Comments
Post a Comment